The Castners 2007

The Castners 2007

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Germany 2009 -- Day 6 -- October 22

Ahhhh . . . going home tomorrow. Yes, we enjoyed the visit to Germany, but there just isn’t anything like sleeping in your own bed and even the joy of being woken early in the morning by a talkative 3 year old is sounding delightful at this point. Dave did start having some slight headaches overnight last night and this morning. He pretty much just laid-low this morning, lounging and reading in bed until early evening. He did quite a bit of sleeping, which I think is probably the biggest aid in the healing process after his procedure. In classic David-style though, he continued to be upbeat and positive reminding me (and possibly to remind himself) that it was still leaps-and-bounds better than the pain he experienced last year.

By evening he was feeling better and we had a couple of places we still needed to visit, so we headed out. We did not get to do the exciting adventures that I alluded to last night, simply because we didn’t want to push Dave too hard. However, we still managed to squeeze in some blog-worth pictures. For instance, no trip to Germany would be complete without a little hat shopping.
We then decided to stop in to the Benkay Japanese Restaurant that is attached to our hotel. What an amazing experience. We could choose between a sushi bar or a Tepanyaki grill – we decided to go with the grill and were not disappointed. For anyone that doesn’t know, Tepanyaki is the “art” of cooking directly at your table. It is fascinating to watch.

The meal was served in 8 courses. We started with a vegetable type platter that was delicious, but the only thing I can tell you was on it was spinach, because I have no idea what the other 2 items were. Then we had an appetizer of sushi, followed by a grilled seafood plate, Then a sorbet and salad – which I need to pause here to show you the picture – look closely


I have now officially eaten fish eggs – I’m not sure that I’ll be “craving” them anytime soon, but not as bad as I had expected.

The next course was miso soup , then the main entrée which was steak and vegetables, and a dessert of ice cream wrapped in crepes and served flambe’.
Even more impressive than the food was this – my mom will be proud – I ate the whole thing with chopsticks! Dave cheated and used a fork – or occasionally his fingers – but I suppose he has a better excuse than most.
Anyway, we are full and tired, so we will be heading to bed and getting ready for an early flight tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment